Sunday, December 2, 2007

Desailly still keen on Ghana role

ormer France international and World Cup winner Marcel Desailly has confirmed his intention to return to football as coach of Ghana.

The 39-year-old said he would be interested in taking up the post once current manager Claude LeRoy has finished his "great job".

The defender, who was born in Ghana before moving to France as a child, retired from playing in 2006.

He ruled himself out of the Black Stars job when it went to LeRoy last year but next time he will be keen to apply.

"My time will come," said Desailly, who helped France win the World Cup in 1998 and the European Championship in 2000.

"Ghana has a good generation of players. We have Claude LeRoy, who is doing a great job.

"Me, I'm still young. I feel like I need to cross the world. I'm an ambassador of Unicef.

"I work with the orphanage. For the moment I need to dedicate myself on the ground to the kids.

"In the future, I will come back into coaching. My target for sure (is Ghana). After LeRoy, my time will come."

Desailly enjoyed a successful career at club level as well as with France, winning the European Cup with Olympique Marseille in 1993.

He enjoyed long spells with AC Milan and Chelsea before closing out his career in Qatar.

No comments: